Friday, April 24, 2009

Martha, there's a storm a brewin'

Today it was 80 degrees and as I watched our empty box of Corona Light get pushed by gale force winds down our street (and was appalled and devilishly grinning at what our ever ultra conservative neighbors might think), I hear my handsome hubby shout out "Martha, there's a storm a brewin'!". I'm not Martha, but this is a generational phrase that started on the plains of Oklahoma when our little family of 5 made up the entire population and as I watched the tumbleweeds blow by and heard the cows mooing, my dad's booming voice would yell to anyone listening, "Martha, there's a storm a brewin'".

So as I type at 4am during another night of restless sleep, I know that this is more than a metaphor. I feel change on the horizon. I am walking through changes with the girls as they are developing and growing. I looked at #2 today and her once too long pants are now highwaters and I can't believe how much she looks like her dad. I had the first of many "talks" with #1 last weekend, talk about a storm a brewin'. Thank goodness for the American Girl books that act as a guideline when I begin to stammer.

We survived our month of IEP's. Two, 3 hour sessions and I did not come out unscathed. I am jaded to the system and don't understand the agenda of schools and the laws in place to service these kids. I can't change the world, but I can empower my children and that is one thing I am holding on to. I hope she will know I fought for her when they said no and that paid off to the point that we are where we are today. Mediocre is not an option and I definitely think that when they say Free and Appropriate Public Education, they should substitute Appropriate with Mediocre. I looked at the principal and told him several times that I am raising EXCEPTIONAL children and am looking for partnership in doing so. I am not saying I am the Hitler of homework or some fascist ruler at home. I am saying that I want my kids to know their inner power and strength and recognize that it comes from God and that He has planted dreams within them that are waiting to emerge and it is my job to protect those spirits, protect those dreams, until one day they emerge from their cocoon to become the beautiful, exceptionally colored butterfly's that they're intended to be. Part of protecting them is knowing when to fight and knowing when to concede, especially in the world of IEP's and working within a flawed system. So, I conceded and as I type this, I hope and pray I did the right thing.

As for the other storms, yikes! I told James that I needed a no peek blog, one that I could really let out the demons in, but some things should not be seen in print and I am working on leaving several storms on my closet floor in the form of prayers and tears (yes Cassie I did go in my dirty closet:)). So for now, with the temperature dipping yet again and another storm on its way, I cling to the truth of Matthew 6:33 and look forward to the rainbows on the other side.

Yours truly,

Martha

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bravo to you for continuing to fight the good fight for your girls! Whether C ever realizes it or not (and I bet she will one day in the not so distant future), you have made all the difference for her...especially in her education! Bravo, bravo, bravo! I know it must be tiring, but know that it is also inspiring to stand by and watch you fight so courageously. Love to you all!