Sunday, January 18, 2009

How I scared the crap out of my mom today...love, E

Ummm, yeah. Nervous breakdown be darned as I found myself frantically mis-dialing the pediatrician this morning...twice. Seemed like a good idea at family breakfast to share some gluten free pancakes and a quarter size piece of egg white...it really did seem like a good idea. Yeah-no. As I sat watching her scratch at herself, buck in haste on a whim, cry, writhe in pain, and are her cheeks red?? I panicked. I panicked like a kid at Six Flags who just got to the front of the line for the rollercoaster....not good!
BUT, just like that kid, I got on that rollercoaster. I called the dr. On a Sunday. I paced the room while my husband rocked her. I felt the butterflies of the upside down part as she screamed at me and I noticed she scratched her chest in trying to get whatever was bothering her, out. I waited for all of the phones to start ringing...FINALLY! What happened? He sounded like I woke him...do they all sound like that at 11am on a Sunday...is that for effect or did I really wake him? I explained what happened. He says it sounds like an egg allergy....ummm yeah, is this ride almost over? Do you have Benadryl? Yeeeaaahhh, for MEEE. We are a little new at this infant thing again....Do we need to go to the ER I asked shakily?? Nope, he said and I hear the voice announcing to stay in your seat until the ride has come to a full and complete stop...will do. Oh, you want me to do what Dr. Raspy Voice?? Try the egg whites again in a few days, but with Benadryl on hand? Ummm, ok, as the friend grabs your hand and says, again, again, lets ride it AGAIN!! I never did like that friend...but looks like we're riding again. And that my friends is how I scared the crap out of my mom today....

Love,
E

1 comment:

Cassie said...

YIKES! YIKES! How scary! I hope that you don't have to deal with another food allergy. I had a friend whose child reacted to eggs the first time. She waited a long time and tried again and the child has been fine since. I hope that you guys will be o.k.