Sunday, November 23, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I just wrote my final post on Dream Planter and thought I was done for the night, but I feel hollow, like I just said goodbye to a good friend or like I feel traveling home from vacation...looking to what lies ahead not with dread, but without that extra spring in my step. When I signed off I felt like I was closing a good Danielle Steel book for the last time or a heart pulling devotional...or the Shack.
Like the Shack, I think this past year opened up a lot of opportunity and with that came a lot of intense soul searching that forced me to reconcile and continue to work on some old demons. I am clinging to the phrase "I am fond of you." in looking ahead to the next fun thing God's got in His agenda for me....I am hoping my agenda doesn't prevent it and that is one of the demons that continues to plague me.
It's funny, at Fuddrucker's tonight they played that Breakfast Club song...Don't Forget About Me..which happened to be my senior song in high school and as I was trying to summarize our adoption finalization experience, I found myself praying that...don't you forget about me...don't, don't, don't, don't you...forget about me. As I wipe snotty noses, change a million more diapers, get up every few hours to comfort a painful teething cry....don't forget about me as I step off the cloud of adoption and into the depths of parenting....don't forget about me as I navigate raising a black child in a white family....don't forget about me as I cry out in not understanding what the 7 year old needs...don't forget about me as autism rears its ugly head at the most inopportune time...don't forget about me as my body turns 34 but my insides resonate 17. I am hoping He hasn't because living this past year in the freedom of His plans was THE most wild ride of my life and I'd like more....I think.
So goodbye 33...the year 2 babies became 3 and I started to scratch the surface on what it really means to trust and that grace and love and faith are not just foo-foo words found on devotional books in Wal-Mart, but they are real life forces that offer safety, comfort, and FREEDOM in our relationships and from what plagues us.

No comments: